Welcome to Little Ilford School Library
Mrs J Showunmi - Librarian
Mrs N Nanu - Library Assistant
Our school library is a warm and welcoming place for all students and staff. It is full of resources such as books (physical and audio), computers, newspapers and magazines to support learning, teaching and reading for pleasure. Students can use the computers and desks for homework, study and research, and we also have soft seating areas for more relaxed reading. Throughout the school year, we have a range of fun and engaging library events.
Monday – Friday, 8:00am – 4:00pm
Students are welcome to use the library before school, at break and lunch times and after school. (During busier times we may have to limit the number of students in the library to prevent overcrowding).
The Library can also be booked by teachers for lessons throughout the school term.
Borrowing Library Items
Students are strongly encouraged to borrow books as reading widely has a positive effect on their studies and general wellbeing. Each student is allowed to borrow up to 3 fiction and 3 non-fiction books at a time. Books can be loaned for 2 weeks and may be renewed if they are still required (except when there is a waiting list for those items).
Students are responsible for looking after the items that they borrow. In the event that any items are damaged, they will not be in trouble but will be expected to pay for the loss or damage.
Events and activities
We have a full programme of activities that include author visits and reading events.
A club for Year 7 and 8 meets every Tuesday (3.10 – 4.00pm).
We have other special reading groups meeting at various times throughout the year e.g. to shadow the Carnegie Medal and other prize shortlists.
Finding a good book
We have a Library catalogue, booklists and book displays to help students find the right book. Books that are already out on loan can be reserved and the student will be placed on a waiting list.
Mrs. Showunmi (the Librarian) is always on hand to give advice and recommendations so please ask her. She is also happy to receive suggestions for new books that students may like to see added to the library.
Online Resources for Reading for Pleasure
- Overdrive* - ebooks and audiobooks from Newham and other Public Libraries
- Audible Stories - a selection of audiobooks available for free, including literary classics, texts in French and Spanish, and much more.
- BorrowBox* - ebooks and audiobooks from Newham and other Public Libraries
- Project Gutenberg - ebooks of texts out of copyright
- PressReader* - for Newspapers/magazines with your library card
- RBDigital* - for audio books/comics/magazines
- BookTrust Bookfinder - find out about books in a wide variety of genres
- Goodreads - students can write their own reviews of books they have read, find book lists, take part in quizzes and discover new books to read
- Authorfy - videos about books, authors, writing and reading
- Guardian Long Reads - articles on a variety of topics
*access with your library card or temporary membership log-in details
Online Resources for All Subjects — Year 7 to 11
- Q-Files - online encyclopaedia for kids, offering a free trial until end of July 2020
- Khan Academy - cross-curricular resources
- Seneca - cross-curricular revision materials
- BBC Bitesize - revision across the curriculum
- Credo Reference - general reference source for quality research/study. Access also provided through Public Libraries.
- The Week Junior/ First News - newspapers for younger readers. Access provided through public Libraries
- TedEd - a curated version of TEDTalks for young learners
- True tube - Award winning free resources for RE, PSHE & Citizenship
Free Educational Games/Activities and Virtual Museum tours
- Tate Kids - Games, quizzes & crafts to do at home including Jacqueline Wilson’s Magical Tour of Tate Britain
- Natural History Museum - activities & crafts to do around the home
- Mercedes Benz - Virtual Tour of Mercedes Benz Museum in Stuttgart, Germany
- The Great Fire of London - Stories & games about the great fire of London
- Science Museum - Games, Apps & activities to do at home
- Geography Games
- Jigsaw Planet - jigsaws