Welcome to Little Ilford School Library
Mrs J Showunmi - Librarian
Mrs N Nanu - Library Assistant
Our school library is a warm and welcoming place for all students and staff. It is full of resources such as books (physical and audio), computers, newspapers and magazines to support learning, teaching, and reading for pleasure. Students can use the computers and desks for homework, study and research, and we also have soft seating areas for more relaxed reading. Throughout the school year, we have a range of fun and engaging library events.
You are welcome to use the library on the day assigned to your year group. Please check the Google classroom announcement page for further information.
You are responsible for looking after the items you borrow. In the event that any items are damaged, you will not be in trouble but will be expected to pay for the loss or damage.
You can download an app for your device for easy access to your ebooks/audiobooks:
Direct Link to app library:
The LIS Book Club meets in the library fortnightly on Wednesdays between 3:00 pm and 4:00pm (time subject to change).
Online Resources for Reading
- Overdrive* - ebooks and audiobooks from Newham and other Public Libraries
- Audible Stories - a selection of audiobooks available for free, including literary classics, texts in French and Spanish, and much more.
- BorrowBox* - ebooks and audiobooks from Newham and other Public Libraries
- Project Gutenberg - ebooks of texts out of copyright
- PressReader* - for Newspapers/magazines with your library card
- RBDigital* - for audio books/comics/magazines
- BookTrust Bookfinder - find out about books in a wide variety of genres
- Goodreads - students can write their own reviews of books they have read, find book lists, take part in quizzes and discover new books to read
- Authorfy - videos about books, authors, writing and reading
- Guardian Long Reads - articles on a variety of topics
*access with your library card or temporary membership log-in details
Online Resources for All Subjects — Year 7 to 11
- Khan Academy - cross-curricular resources
- Seneca - cross-curricular revision materials
- BBC Bitesize - revision across the curriculum
- Credo Reference - general reference source for quality research/study. Access also provided through Public Libraries.
- The Week Junior/ First News - newspapers for younger readers. Access provided through public Libraries
- TedEd - a curated version of TEDTalks for young learners
- True tube - Award winning free resources for RE, PSHE & Citizenship
Free Educational Games/Activities and Virtual Museum tours
- Tate Kids - Games, quizzes & crafts to do at home including Jacqueline Wilson’s Magical Tour of Tate Britain
- Natural History Museum - activities & crafts to do around the home
- Mercedes Benz - Virtual Tour of Mercedes Benz Museum in Stuttgart, Germany
- The Great Fire of London - Stories & games about the great fire of London
- Science Museum - Games, Apps & activities to do at home
- Geography Games
- Jigsaw Planet - jigsaws
Some Notable Events
- 8th - World Ocean Day
- 9th - Empathy Day
- 23rd - International Women in Engineering Day
- 23rd - National Writing Day